Personal Finance Insider writes about products, strategies, and tips to help you make smart decisions with your money. We may receive a small commission from our partners, like American Express, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective. Terms apply to offers listed on this page. Read our editorial standards.
Bottom line: Allstate has a national presence with good customer service, but rates are slightly higher than what other companies offer.
Allstate insurance pros and cons
Allstate auto insurance review
Allstate has been in business since 1931 and operates in all states. Allstate is the fourth largest auto insurance company based on market share in the US. It ranked #14 in J.D. Power’s auto claims satisfaction. The average monthly premium is $176, slighter higher than the top three largest auto insurers.
Allstate offers liability coverage, comprehensive coverage, collision coverage, and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. It also offers car rental reimbursement if your car is undrivable due to a collision. Like most insurance companies, Allstate provides discounts for bundling your home and auto insurance.
There are four types of car insurance coverage: liability insurance (required by most states), comprehensive, collision, and full car coverage. If you lease or finance your car, your lender may require comprehensive and collision coverage.
The difference between the various
coverage types is outlined in the table below:
Allstate’s auto insurance features and discounts
- Roadside coverage — Covers the cost of common roadside services like tire changes and jump-starts.
- Rental reimbursement — Covers the cost of renting a car while your vehicle’s in the shop due to a collision or other insured loss.
- Deductible reward — If you sign up, you’ll get $100 off your deductible, plus $100 each year you’re accident-free — up to $500.
- New car replacement — If your new car is totaled, this addition allows Allstate to replace it — not just give you a check for the depreciated value.
- Accident forgiveness — Even if it was your fault, an accident won’t make your rates go up.
- Safe driver bonus — Add this to your policy to get a bonus every six months you’re accident free.
- Drivewise — A telematics-based app that measures your good driving habits — like safe speeds and safe stops — and rewards you for being smart behind the wheel.
- Smart student discount — If you’re unmarried and under the age of 25, you can save with a B or better.
- Anti-theft discount — Save if there’s an anti-theft device installed.
- Anti-lock brake discount — Save if your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes.
- Multiple policy discount — Save on your auto insurance when you have multiple policies with Allstate.
Visit Allstate’s auto insurance website.
Allstate homeowners insurance review
You’re probably familiar with Allstate’s “you’re in good hands” commercials. Allstate is the second largest homeowners …….