Cod fishing limits to be slashed again, regulators say – Press Herald

Cod fishing limits to be slashed again, regulators say – Press Herald

Fishing industry managers are recommending the already-diminished U.S. cod fishery face another reduction in catch limits.

Cod fishing was once a huge industry in New England, but it collapsed due to overfishing and environmental challenges.

The regulatory New England Fishery Management Council said on Dec. 10 it has called for a reduction of the commercial Georges Bank cod catch from about 2.4 million pounds to about 540,000 pounds next year. Georges Bank is one of two key areas where fishermen catch cod. The other is the Gulf of Maine, which would remain at about 590,000 pounds next year under the council’s recommendation.

The council said the Georges Bank and Gulf of Maine cod stocks remain overfished. The Gulf of Maine stock shows “few older fish in the population and few incoming recruits,” the council said in a statement.

U.S. fishermen caught more than 100 million pounds of cod per year in the 1980s. The catch was less than 2 million pounds in total last year.

The fish are often used in fish and chips. The U.S. seafood market has turned to foreign sources, from countries such as Iceland and Russia, to meet demand.


Invalid username/password.

Please check your email to confirm and complete your registration.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you’ve submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

« Previous

Medicare urged to flex its power and slash back premium hike

Next »

Squadron created to oversee submarines during overhauls at Kittery yard

Related Stories

Source: https://www.pressherald.com/2021/12/13/cod-fishing-limits-to-be-slashed-again-regulators-say/

Fishing