The Division of Science at New York University Abu Dhabi seeks to appoint a NYU PhD candidate to assist in teaching ‘Psychology of Gender Images’ in the Spring of 2022.
This course will examine visual representations of women, men, and non-binary individuals, femininity and masculinity, sexual minorities, and gender norms and relations from a psychological perspective. We will closely survey the nature of social perception, consider several systems for coding and interpreting visual images and language in media, and examine how gender images psychologically impact those who see them.
We will explore questions such as: How is gender portrayed visually? What are the methods that psychologists employ to assess this? And, what are the psychological consequences of exposure to certain kinds of gender images?
Students in the course will develop media literacy and expand their knowledge of how gender is represented in media in ways that both mirror and reinforce cultural stereotypes. They will gain a deep understanding of the tools that psychologists employ to study media content and its effects on viewers scientifically. Students will apply what they learn in the course by conducting a research project of their own. This will entail developing a research question on some aspect of gender representation in media; designing a scientific study to address this question; creating a codebook to quantify gender representations; analyzing the resulting data; and interpreting the results. Students will present their project to the class and report their results in a final paper.
Teaching Assistant duties:
- Attending all classes and helping with in-class things e.g., marking attendance, distributing and collecting handouts and materials for student activities.
- Helping with printing materials for in-class use
- Sometimes meeting with students if they reach out to directly or if they have scheduling conflicts that prevent them from meeting with me
- Attending 1 45-minute meeting with each student (along with me) to finalize student topics for research paper
- Meeting with me once/week for about 30 mins
- Doing initial grading for the following assignments:
- two (2) 6-page papers (I estimate this will take about 45 mins per student per paper)
- paper search assignment (I estimate this will take about 15 mins per student)
- preliminary research proposal (I estimate this will take 20 mins per student)
- formal research proposal (I estimate this will take 30-35 mins per student)
- final research paper (I estimate this will take 1hr per student at a minimum)
- Communicating grades to students
- Keeping student records (e.g., class attendance, submission of images throughout the semester, paper search, submission of peer evaluations, paper grades, forum participation when needed)
- Computing midterm and final grades and submitting them to Albert
Successful applicants must have a BSc degree in Psychology.
To be considered, all applicants must submit a curriculum vitae.
If you have any questions, please email Andrea Vial ([email protected]).
This institution is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this …….